Selecting gemstone jewelry can sometimes feel like a game of chance; you might think that you flip a coin and get lucky if you end up with high quality jewelry. This doesn’t have to be the case. If you know what to look for, shopping for gemstone jewelry can be easy and reward you with great results every time. Here are some things to look for when choosing your gemstone jewelry:
- What is the gemstone set in? Look for platinum, gold, white gold, or silver settings for high quality material.
- Consider the cut of the gemstone. Choosing the right cut can make a jewelry piece amazing, so make sure you pick one that is well-faceted to reflect lots of light and give the most brilliance.
- Look at the color of the gemstone. Make sure it isn’t muddled—the best quality gemstones have colors that are bright and vivid.
- Check for flaws and inclusions in the gemstone. The best gemstones are clearly transparent. Watch out for treated gemstones; these may be oiled to hide flaws.
- Remember that gemstones are priced based on weight, not size. The weight is measured in carats. A denser stone will be more expensive than a stone with a different composition that may be the same size.
- Don’t be afraid to ask questions of your dealer. Anyone selling high quality gemstone jewelry should be able to answer questions regarding any details about the gemstones or setting materials and offer insight and opinions to help you with your purchase.